Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Does blue grass smell like blue?

New Hampshire, Michigan, California, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina and Iowa. All of us twenty somethings have descended upon the green blue grass of Raleigh, North Carolina like a stealthy morning fog that sits on top of a warm spring lake. Were practically ninjas at this point. We have been taught the art and "zen" (if you will) of splinting a compound fracture, team restraining, and how to treat a snake bite. And no, you do not suck out the poison OR piss on it. I mean, you can, but it wont do anything but make your buddy's leg/ arm smell like piss. Although if you were proficient in your knowledge and identification of lethally poisonous snakes and one such as your everyday bull or rat snake (non-lethal) bit your friend, it would be pretty freakin hilarious if ya did pee on them. I'm just sayin.
Down the street from the house my brothers and I grew up in was a prime location for herding snakes. Every spring these little worm sized baby garter snakes would writhe in and out of the long grass that surrounded a rusted up man hole cover. The man hole itself was large enough for...well...a man to easily fit into. hence the name i guess. Anyway, my brother and a few of his dirty faced friends and i would sneak up on the snake den and then ambush the little squirrelly things. The snakes would panic and go every which way and our grubby little calloused fingers would scoop them up and shove them into jars, pockets, and pop cans. They were perfectly harmless and the only negative aspect of the whole scenario was the god awful smell that garter snakes leave behind after you handle them. I would compare the stench to that of rotting vegetables being stir fried in ammonia. Hard as hell to get off of your hands too, no matter how much spit and dirt you used to clean yourself. We pretty much just carried the snakes around with us for the day. We named them, had them race each other, and probably pointed out that "my snake is faster than your snake" and other completely irrelevant and useless information which small children seem very adamant in sharing with other small children. Eventually I stopped herding snakes and few years later and decided I was afraid of them instead. Overtime that fear completely disappeared and last spring on a bike trail in Iowa I found myself once again making a pet out of a wild bull snake for the day. He was a good sport and made one hell of a entertaining prop whenever things got boring on the trail.
Hmmmmm.....I always get way off track from what I want to write about, but this will suffice. I guess what I really wanted to write about was how great the people I am working with are. They have huge hearts, creative minds and selfless attitudes. I think we should all be cloned and sent to different parts of the world and perhaps the quality of life everywhere would become better. Damn that makes me sound like a friggin hippie, but hell....it's true. Three more days of training left before were turned loose like a rookery of albatross to parole our camps in search of emotionally needy children. Fingers crossed all of this material gives us more tools to help them when we get there.....

2 comments:

  1. When did you find out that was a bull snake? It took me a couple days to figure out it wasn't a rattler....

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog btw...very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete