Sunday, May 24, 2009

The ways we talk can be corn-fusing.

It took me a few days to catch onto the Cajun accent my friend, Sammy has. It's actually really pretty. Kinda a mix between a southern bell and a drunk. Ya know? Kinda slurry and all mushed up sounding words, but with ease and fancy. You gotta know Sammy to fully understand what I mean, but it is beautiful.

It didn't take me more than a minute to peg the Boston accent spuing out of the mouth of my friend , Michael the first time i met him. His accent fell from his mouth with much profanity. It reminded me of a cow chewing cud, really...there were "trademark" Bostonian words that kept coming up like "ovah heeah" and "wick-it nice." There's also something redeeming about a Boston accent, especially on a guy who's pointing at you with his cigar, head cocked and shaking around a rum and coke at the same time. Now that's classy.

Today I am still baffled by the deep southern accents of random people I have met in Tennessee. Yesterday while I was at a bluegrass festival, I ventured outside of all the action and stopped to chat with a few good ol' boys outside of a bar called the "Recreation Room." Swear to God one of them was wearing full bib overalls and had a piece of long grass jutting out from the side of his mouth. I was really only stopping to talk to them in an attempt to find the nearest ATM machine, but when I left I was more confused than when I showed up. The only thing I could understand in our short time together were the words "o'er thr." There were many hand gestures that confused me even more, and instead of smiling and saying thanks I just kind of tensed up and gave them the solid thumbs up and a smile. I really didn't know what else to do. I also never found that ATM machine. I'm convinced they were sending me to a slaughter house or a cross burning. kidding, kidding, kidding....kinda.




I'm not real clear on the means by which animals talk, but they seem to be screaming at me lately. Call me crazy, but I have made it my own personal duty to successfully remove all at-risk snapping turtles from the roads near where I live. You may think there are only a handful, but today alone I helped two. The first one needed assistance getting back into his little ditch near a cattail filled pond. When I attempted to help the second one I soon realized he needed no help. He was dead. I thought about building him a small raft of twigs ( which I would set a flame) and floating him out onto the small pond by the roadside for a proper viking turtle funeral, but instead I left him where he ly. Point being, I felt pretty proud about helping those moss covered dinosaur-esque heathens out of the way of a barrage of Peterbilts and Mack trucks. With the feeling of doing justice to the animal kingdom for the day I cruised back home in my little Honda. That's when it happened. Whap. A freakin' bird flew into my windshield and narrowly escaped certain death when at the last minute he tipped his wings up and made a defensive maneuver to avoid hitting me all together. I glanced into my rear view mirror to see him flip up belly over back a couple of times before coming to rest on the white painted shoulder line of the road. "Ah hell, i better go back and take a picture of him too." When I got back to him and got close enough to take his mug shot I saw that he was still very much alive, but stunned. He blinked about 47 times in the 10 seconds that I sat staring at him. I'm guessing he was morse-coding to me "What the F#*! are you and why are you staring at me with that shiny thing in your big hand and hey! wait?! aren't you the same a-hole that hit me 3 minutes ago?!" I'm just guessin' that's what he was thinkin,' but I could be wayy off. Regardless, I took his photo and helped him to a nearby fence post where I guessed his chances of getting eatin' by a rat snake would be far less than on the roadside where he had been laying.









1 comment:

  1. I absolutley love reading your posts! It's like reading a book you can't put down. I look so forward to each new entry. Your description of the guy with the overalls and grass in his mouth is hilarious!
    I also love your pics.! My favorite this week is the bird on the fence. Love ya and miss you so much S.B.

    ReplyDelete