Monday, May 11, 2009

Up and sorta running...

Instead of regurgitating the same information throughout a string of phone calls to friends and family about what I am doing and where i am doing things I have decided to start a blog. yea me.

So here goes y'all.

Eight years ago (my freshman year of college) when I met my first friend from Texas I was quickly introduced to the word "yall." It can be used in a variety of ways. "y'all headin out?" "Is this y'alls ramen noodles?" "What's y'alls plans later tonight?" < As shown.
Now sitting smack dab in the middle of the Cumberland Plateau in Deer Lodge, Tennesee I find myself using the same exact grammar. It's not that I have forgotten proper English, or even that I am making fun of the word, it is simply easier to get across to people this way. It really ain't no joke how they all talk down here. And it doesnt just stop with using the word "y'all" either. I have also quickly become a "Yes Maam', and Yes Sir," talkin' child from the north. Being from the north (which is odd to me since I never saw Iowa as very far north??) has also burdened me with the brand of being a "damn Yankee." Whatever I guess, I don't even like baseball that much. Anyway...where was I.....
Shoot I almost forgot. I probabaly should have started this blog by telling people where I am and what exactly I am doing. Ok, sooooooooo....
As many of you may know about a year ago I was still living in Des Moines and really becoming frustrated with the fact that I was at a job that I didn't enjoy waking up to every morning at 5:30. Fast forward 3 months>>>>>>>>>>I end up in Portland Oregon through nothing but the sheer grace of God. I got a phone call which pretty much went like this;
Biddy Ho- "Hey Sara?"
Me- "Yeah?"
Biddy Ho-" Wanna move to Portland, Oregon and house sit for me for about 9 months?"
Me- "Can I tell people I'm moving there because I'm knocked up and I wanna get rid of the kid as soon as it's born and then come back to Iowa?"
Biddy Ho- "Yeah, I don't care."
Me- "OK! cool, I'm there gimme a month."
And like that, I was gone. Oregon was AMAZING for the whole 8 1/2 months that I lived there. I lived alone in a nice town outside of Portland where I got the chance to really figure out a lot about what I want from my life and how to achieve it. I won't dare bore anyone with the details of it, but let's just say there are probably a handful of country songs that could do a pretty good job summarizing my existence throughout those 8 months. Nearing the end of my stay there I hopped online and filled out every single online application which I found to be interesting, exciting and challenging. I'm talking white water raft guide jobs, airbrush artist jobs, cake decorator jobs, basket weaver jobs, brew master jobs, you frickin' name it, i filled it out. I was hoping for a nibble from somewhere within the continental United States and I did get a few bites. After weighing the pros and cons of two of them I decided that instead of drowning on the banks of the Snake River as a white water raft guide (which I have NEVER done, but got a call to start employment as) I would instead go to Tennessee to live in the woods with at-risk teens as an outdoor theraputic counselor. So just like that within a week of bitter sweetly turning in my green vest at REI in Oregon I was back in my car and headed across the country again to a small town that rests in the beautiful state of Tennessee. I spent a week in Iowa running around making sure my friends and family knew how much I loved them all and then I headed South. I stopped off for a night in St. Louis to see and old friend and of course had to swing down to the Big Easy for an unforgettable 10 days of Jazz Fest, but I parked my trusty rusty at my new home here in Tennessee less than a week ago.
So what the hell is it I am doing here you may be asking yourself????
Ahhh, yes.....sleeping with one eye open at the moment. I'm kidding.
Yes, I am working with at-risk youth in the middle of nowhere where my phone has little to no reception and access to an axe or pocket knife is usually within reach of these "at-risk" kids, BUT I feel extremely comfortable. I'm here to build relationships with kids who probably have a closer relationship with their iPods than they do with their parents and their teachers. I am a co-chief to a small group of girls who wake up every morning at 6:25 and try to be in bed every night by 8:30. We spend the majority of our day outdoors hiking and doing chores when we are not in class or preparing for a meal. We have very high standards to keep day in and day out or privileges such as eating in the community center are taken away from our group. Indeed I also have to set a good example and follow these same standards so I too have been walking around camp with my shirt always tucked in, keeping low tones when in the community building, and not interrupting or cursing. This place is sort of like boot camp, but without all of the yelling.
I live 5 days a week 24 hours of those days "in woods." Our camp is set back in the woods about a 1/2 mile from the main community center where we eat our weekly meals. There are trails winding in and out of beautiful gorges and over babbling creeks. Coyotes and hoot owls lullaby us to sleep every night and whipper whills wake us up. I'm not even kidding, and I'm seriously not trying to over romanticize the place either, it's just the truth. This place is absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me a lot of Iowa if it were on steroids.
I can't really disclose very much information about the girls I am "Chief Sara" to, but I can say that they have already tried my patience to the point of no return. In the same breath, I can also say that although they have already tried my patience....I'm not about to go anywhere. These kids have been walked out on their whole lives by friends, family, and doctors and I'm not going to be put in that category. So stay tuned for a bit more exciting details in the future as I get to know my group better and as the seasons change. So far my tick count stands at 2. I picked about 6 off of me BEFORE they attached their greedy little blood sucking heads to my skin, but 2 of the little bastards got by. Ta Ta for now...

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I am so serious when I "type"...you should write a book about your adventures. You are so articulate, colorful and descriptive with your thoughts. I read this and I can feel,smell,hear, see it all. You truly are am amazing person Princess S.B. I am so blessed to have had you near if even for only 8 1/2/ months. I know we will meet up again. For now I look forward to more blogs and hopefully pictures! Love ya lot's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way..."Gram" is Marie! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete